Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cancelled

I used to watch a fair amount of TV in my earlier days. Particularly when I had graduated from college, lived at home and worked full time. Obviously this was way before kids, Gary and being grown up. Now we have this wonderful device known as a DVR so while I would like to watch more TV, I can't actually do it. Instead I record many shows that I would like to watch and fill up our DVR as it goes unwatched. However, last night I made an effort to watch some of my DVR'd shows. One in particular had just started this season, The Ex List. Basically it is about a woman who goes to a psychic and is told she only has a year to marry and she has already met the man she is supposed to marry. So each episode she co-incidentally runs into a new old flame. Not a great premise but I like it. It's a light, airy, comedy type of show that I find refreshing in the world of COPS, CSI, Numbers, etc. that are basically all based on crime. And all the reality shows. I will admit tuning into some of them once in a while like Biggest Loser (okay I love this one), American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, but that is about it.

So I catch up on the two episodes I had on DVR and realize that it wasn't on last night at it's usually scheduled time slot of 9PM. Hmmm...a little googling and I find that it has been cancelled. Cancelled. I HATE THAT! It's not enough that we had to sit through boring TV last year due to a writers strike, but a few of the shows I have liked over the last few years have ended up being shelved. It ticks me off. The list is growing and growing and it's sad to me. Again I am not huge into the more gloomy shows listed above so the ones I like that seem to get cancelled are the funnier ones to me. The following is a list of my all time favs...

Freaks and Geeks - seriously one of the best shows of all time that aired for such a short time.
The Class - One season it lasted and ended and I easily came close to peeing my pants each episode.
Arrested Development - need I say any more?
Saved! - a TNT original series that I really got into one summer never to be heard from again
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - Star studded cast yet still it failed. At least they ended it easily by tying up all of the loose ends.
Side Order of Life - A cheesy but cute Lifetime Original series that lasted one summer season

I am sure there are more but that is all I can think of at the moment. So what are your favorite shows that have been cancelled? I think the ultimate bummer is having the shows on the DVR, getting into them and THEN realizing they are cancelled.

No comments: