Monday, January 12, 2009

Cubeland

Ever see Office Space? Do you like Dilbert? That is basically where I work. I love my job, don't get me wrong. That part does not pertain to office space or Dilbert. But the cubefarm of engineers and other geeks that I reside in the few days I come in to the office never ceases to amaze me. I probably know more about my cubemates than I do most of my close friends. Like the guy next to me is going to have chicken Parmesan tonight for supper? Can't say I know what my own parents are having tonight.

Being in close proximity also lends itself to overhearing many, many other conversations besides the aforementioned dinner plans. Today I was inadvertently - meaning she was talking loudly, how the hell could I not over hear - a newer coworker talking on her phone. She obviously does not know how loud she is or that we can all hear her. But she must be young. I can tell not only because of her obvious non-work related conversations but also because all of her statements go up at the end in a sort of questioning tone. For instance - I was thinking that we could change the spreadsheet. Sounds innocent enough. But try putting it into a question like tone. That is her EVERY sentence people. After listening to a few of her conversations even work related I am starting to wonder if her voice needs to go up that last octave or if it has just become habit. Either way it has become like nails on a chalkboard for me. UGH. The most non-irritating questions become unbearable to listen to.

I have to admit that at one point I was graced with an "anonymous" e-mail from a fellow cube mate one late afternoon. It was about 3 weeks before my wedding and of course anyone I talked to on the phone was asking me about it, trying to finish up project work but still asking me wedding details and questions. So apparently at 5:30 one afternoon this particular individual had decided that my later afternoon (after hours I might add) conversation was annoying. Now granted it was later so there wasn't the normal buzz of conversations dulling the noise because most people had left for the day (get it...most people had LEFT for the day). I was just off the phone and I suddenly have an e-mail pop up from a yahoo e-mail account that is from blueeyes at yahoo dot com saying my conversations were too loud and I should think about lowering my voice for obvious non-work related phone calls. I was miffed to say the least because this person didn't have the balls to either use their work e-mail so I could respond properly or come over in person to ask me nicely. Unfortunately this person was relatively new to our company and I had been there almost 8 years at this point. So I knew instantly who the blue eyed e-mailer was. Not hard to figure out when everyone on my side of the building knows me and I them. So I waltzed over there and asked this one person left in the cube area near me with (gasp!) blue eyes who had been at our company about two weeks and looked younger than Bam Bam. I politely said something to the effect of not liking their choice of communication means. He looked shocked and stammered that he had no idea what I was talking about and oh you are getting married well congratulations to you..when is the big day. Save it buster.

So I get it, not always that easy to talk in hushed tones when in the office setting and cubeland. But really, the next generation has to get it together. We don't all need to sound like Cindy Brady and state all of our sentences with a question mark. I know it's not very Pay it Forward of me to be talking like this about my co-workers. I do think I have a bit of ADHD because I can stop what I am doing to try and overhear a conversation about people I don't even know. And one other little miff for me with the next generation....what is with the short pants? Washing and drying will shrink your cotton slacks, please purchase appropriately because we can tell when your socks don't match otherwise.

In other news, I have not updated you recently on my WW progress because there has not been any. I did really well in all aspects leading up to Christmas and then the week of Christmas I just fell apart. In hindsight making baked goods as gifts for daycare teachers and office friends was not the best choice since once one little morsel went in it was hard to stop the onslaught. I have had an epiphany though and in conjunction with my tight pants I made efforts to do some sort of physical activity and order broccoli with my black bean burger from Chili's. So there is progress people. I don't know how much I have gained but I go back to my meeting tomorrow night so we'll see. I can't get my rings on lately and it's freezing out so that can't be a good sign.

And still stay tuned people, readers whoever is out there (Jenn and Emily maybe it's only you two) because the Pay it Forward contest is looming ahead. I have done some serious scouting of potential package contents and I am getting excited to put it together. I am debating what to ask you all to post about. More details soon.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

I love that you confronted the little weasel. Does he still work there?

Terri said...

Yes he does and give me shaky smiles everytime I ignore him.