Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And the winners are....

Kate for her 1978 memory. I was 4 so I have vague memories of being home with my mom for a few days while my dad (a firefighter at the time) was stuck at work the whole time. I do remember they walked my brothers and I down to the convenience store around the corner on a sled to get some groceries.

Danielle for her April Fool's storm memory. I remember that one too, it was my last year of college and my brother and father were coming home from Florida together and they couldn't get any further so they ended up on my doorstep at like 4PM and stayed over night. That was a fun time and I was glad for the company.

Emily is still thinking but at least commented where needed so she wins too.

So ladies please e-mail me your addresses so I can drop my boxes into the mail and believe me you do not want to wait, these boxes are fun!

My most fond memory of a snow day is from 1996. Some classmates and I stayed at school really late until like midnight trying to study for our P-Chem test and finally looked out a window and realized that it was snowing pretty hard. So some of the guys decided to just sleep there but I wanted to go home so one classmate of mine and I decided to leave and get home. So we left my car and we drove to his house (did I mention I had a HUGE crush on this guy??) since he didn't want to let me drive home alone and we had resigned ourselves that we pretty much had to stay up all night since it would take so long to get home and then back to the school since we had the test at 9AM. So we went to his house, he showered while I snoozed on the couch. Then we went to my house where I showered and he snoozed. We watched TV morning news to see if URI cancelled classes, but they didn't. So we left the house (it was still snowing), went to school and headed to Kinko's copies so that we could finish pulling together our "cheat sheet" that the professor let us bring in. One sheet of paper that you could take into the test filled front and back. So of course we were shrinking and copying, etc. etc. to make it all fit on one sheet. The snow started to taper off but the power kept blinking so it was taking forever to make our sheets. Finally the copy guy asked us why we were so hell bent on finishing it since classes were cancelled for the day. Nice.

So we did finish our cheat sheets, went out for a great breakfast on campus and he helped me clean off my car so I could go home to sleep. I lived by myself that year in college so I was able to just cuddle on the couch by myself, slept between different bad daytime TV and movies and had an extra day to study for my test, which I got a B on but was estatic since many people fail this class....oh and I spent the night (okay not technically) with my crush. He had a girlfriend at the time which was why he was only a crush but we did have a great friendship. Unfortunately we stayed in touch just a little while after college but have since lost touch. Last I heard he did marry that girlfriend and they have a son.

I know, I know, it should be about Gary and the girls but I think we all have a particular fondness for college memories.

So Kate, Danielle and Emily please send your addresses to me at tas1120 at gmail dot com.

No comments: