Monday, July 14, 2008

I'm a little bit County

I have come to terms with the fact that I love County music. I really do. I am probably not as consumed with it as other people are because while I do like just about every song that comes over the airwaves in my car, I don't always know the artist who is playing, though my info button on my radio now shows me sometimes who is singing the songs. God bless GM. Genius.

I first found Country music in college when I lived in a co-ed dorm and two guys that lived down the hall from me who blasted Garth Brooks almost 24/7. They were from Preque Isle, Maine which is so far north, they almost sounded as though they had southern accents. At the time I had no idea who Garth Brooks was or why he had friends in such low places, but I realized when I went home that summer that I missed their constant background of lyrics about love and life. So when I went home, I found our local Country station and have never looked back.

Admittedly there are some cornier ones out there...."she thinks my tractor's sexy" and "John Deere Green" that illustrate the more literal country-ness of the songs. But it's the sheer fun of the lyrics that makes it likable. I went through my ipod the other day to load on some more songs and it was then that I realized how far reaching my genre of County music stretches. Nothing gets me running on the treadmill faster than Dolly Parton tumbling out of bed and stumbling to the kitchen to work 9-5 or knowing that Earl had to die.

Strangely enough, I married a guy who is more than a little bit rock and roll, he probably is more hard rock. He will listen to my music if we have to go someplace and there is NOTHING else on, but he really would rather probably eat paste than to listen to it any longer than he had to. I also have an older brother who thought I was insane to listen to this music and then spent a week with me in Florida for work where it is actually difficult to not listen to Country music and found that the song about all ex's living in Texas was pretty funny. The two of them though hold on strongly to their high school days when Poison, Bon Jovi and Guns and Roses were at the height of their careers. I am not sure that either of them has admitted to knowing that Jon Bon Jovi recently (well within the last two years or so) did a Country duet.

So what is on your pre-sets in the car radio? Are you a little bit Country or a little bit Rock and Roll?

No comments: