Thursday, July 31, 2008

Friends, Blueberries and the Beach

The girls and I had a very busy week this week. Okay, well I was very busy so by definition they were very busy with me. I had a paper to write for a conference coming up at work and it was due for tomorrow so of course I waited until the this weekend to put the majority of the effort into it and finally finished it up at 5:30 yesterday morning. Last minute? Me? Never.

So after my 5:00 wake up yesterday to put the finishing touches on my paper about landfill gas and it's reuse potential as a fuel source, I got the girls dressed and fed them breakfast. We were expecting my dear friend Katie and her daughter Emma to come over. Katie is a friend of mine who I met on our first day of high school. I remember it clearly because I didn't have a locker. For whatever reason, the locker that I was assigned was already taken by an upperclasswoman (it is an all girls school) so it took the admin people a little while to figure it all out and this nice girl I met in my Western Civilization class offered to let me use hers with her. We have been friends ever since. I was in her wedding, she was going to be in mine, but found out she was pregnant and Emma was born 5 days after my wedding. A small part of me has always been a bit sad I wasn't able to visit them in the hospital but I was on my honeymoon.

So Aimee, Nicole and I waited for Katie and Emma to come visit. We went blueberry picking with these ladies last year and planned it again this year. We hope to make it a yearly tradition. So they finally arrived just after 10AM and we were off to the blueberry bushes to pick our share of the 2008 crop. At first this seems like a simple task to do, you go, you pick the blue colored berries, deposit into container, repeat. Unless you are a 3 year old or an 19 month old. Aimee decided that it was more fun to put a few in her container and then eat them. Nicole skipped that middle step and just ate them off the bush. Until she realized that I had a plethora in my container at which point she demanded I hand over my container. Of course, I resisted at first because I had picked the best ones I could find and did not want to give them up. And then, as with many other aspects of my life now that I have children, I put their wants ahead of my own and switched containers. It would have been good if Nicole had put a few more into the container but of course she decided to continue her picnic. Let's just say that the past 24 hours have been some interesting diapers.....

After a successful blueberry picking mission, we headed home, threw some lunch down (some of us were full after the picking...ahem!) got into our swimsuits and headed to the car to go to the beach. I got an over sand beach sticker for the Duxbury beach this year and as of yet the planets had not aligned enough for me to actually get out there. I will admit I was also a bit anxious about it because I had not driven my car out onto the beach yet and had visions of being stuck out there. But it was simple as pie to drive out and park our car backed up to the water. The girls loved it and I reminded myself how much I really like the beach. I know that sometimes I make things seem more impossible in my mind when really they are simple to do. Sure, swimsuit season always gives me a bit of an UGH feeling but seeing my kids with out a care in the world as the run around, sand in every inch of their body and salty water stinging their eyes, they couldn't be happier. So I took a bit of their advice so to speak and dove right in with them. Summer, can you last just a bit longer this year?

No comments: