Wednesday, July 9, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I guess I can add a new hat to my list of not quite a full time position -- part time gardener. I decided after reading many ladies' tales of blooming plants who I have "met" in an Internet chat board that I frequent to try my hand at gardening. Now my gardening knowledge goes about as far as picking the fruits of someone elses labor, namely my father who has had a garden for as long as I can remember. But this year with all the talk of salmonella on tomatoes and the push for buying local I figured what is more local than my own back yard. So I leased a portion of my father's garden, an extension strip that went out a bit into our yard and Gary helped me prep it. And lest you be upset that I leased the section, rest assured, no money actually exchanged hands, I just took an area outside his garden with decent soil.

So to prep the area, Gary and I raked it out, found some decent soil around the yard and mixed in some potting soil and fertilizer and I went to work. I bought some seeds as well as dipping into my father's stash of this years potentials and went to work planting according to the backs of the package. This all occured about 10 days ago and I am happy to report on my way out to the daily water this morning that almost every section where I planted something there are at least sprouts.

Now I know that some expert gardeners out there are rolling their eyes and mocking the fact that I probably have no business doing this because obviously I didn't start my seedlings indoors in late April/early May and transplant in June so I am way behind. But it is kind of addicting to do gardening. The watching, waiting and seeing the transformation from seed to plant. Realistically I know that I may not get much more than just the small plants and leaves and that possibly none of the plants will even yeild "fruit" but it is fun to see and put effort into something totally new in my life. I also have two little helpers, who, watering can in hand walk out with me each morning to monitor the progress with me. I don't think they fully understand what I am doing but they appreciate the fact that it is a daily ritual during dry days to go out and supplement what mother nature gives for precipitation.

I am sure we are a site to behold, the three of us walking across the yard, me dragging a hose and the two of them with their small watering cans that used to be tub toys. We are not always dressed appropriately and I am sure that some passerbys wonder what an 18 month old is doing out in the yard at 7AM with just a t-shirt and diaper or the almost 3 year old in her latest princess attire walking next to her. But still, it has become yet another daily ritual that the three of us partake in what has proved to be full time...thus far.

No comments: