Monday, October 27, 2008

Wake up calls

We are in a never ending transition so it seems here with middle of the night wake up calls from our girls. I did a little Googling over my lunch hour to find out that in Nicole it is probably just part of separation anxiety that happens between 18 and 24 months. The fix, basically to get up each time she calls for me and reassure her that I am nearby and she is okay. But the article I read cautions not to spend too much time in there or else it will create a night time wake up habit. Well just great because I think we are already there despite my efforts to only do minimal calming and interaction in the middle of the night.

For Aimee, her middle of the night wake ups are quite similar in that she calls for me and I go in and try to reason with her that she too is okay, I am right across the hall in my own bed and can come back at a moment’s notice. Again the article cautions not to say too much or give in too much because it will create more bad habits of waking, but that I can’t get upset with her for waking up because that too could also cause emotional harm and create an environment where she is not comfortable sharing.

Are you freaking kidding me? Who in the world is happy after being constantly woken up night after night weeks on end? So these people in the articles are telling me that how I react in the middle of the night is not only causing further wake ups but if I do not handle said wake ups appropriately then I am possibly doing further harm to my child? Fabulous. Like I need more guilt in my half-arsed, part time whatever I do life of mine.

And lest you think that my dear husband is not doing his fair share in all of this, rest assured he does attempt to comfort whatever seems to be the crisis of the moment. However, both children react with loving shrieks of discontent when they see Daddy in the doorway when they have so clearly indicated from their high range cries that it is indeed Mommy whom they are seeking. Sigh.

Stay tuned, if I get some sleep perhaps I can write a better post!

No comments: