Monday, October 20, 2008

Slowing down

I realize I have been neglecting the few readers that I have and for that I am sorry. But I have been taking it slow lately. I was starting to feel like I was stretched so thin that I couldn't possibly fit one more thing in. Then I took a moment and thought one day ... what am I rushing to? Preschool? It's not like Aimee is going to get marked down for being late. I don't think they start that until high school. Am I rushing to work? Probably but really, I have flexible work hours so what is the point with pushing myself to get there faster by rushing out of the house in the mornings.

So now I try to make an effort to be on time as I normally do, but not in such a way that I put so much pressure on myself to make it happen. As a result I have actually been on time more, have felt more relaxed and the kids are happier. I know I was trying to rush them out of the house to be on time for whatever activity we do be it playgroup, dancing lessons or swimming. And really, what is the point of doing these extra curricular things if the stress to get there ruins it all?

So I have slowed down. I fit in what I can and what I can't fit in, I try not to stress about. I went back to fundamentals. Each morning I make two lists. The first list is all of the items that I want to do that day. The next list puts them in priority of what HAS to get done down to what I would LIKE to get done and lastly what can probably slide to tomorrow.

You know what else has been helped by slowing down? My eating habits. My efforts on WW was stalled for two weeks because with the stress of trying to fit in everything with our new fall schedule I realized that I am a stress eater. I will push things into my face as fast as I can without really tasting them. So by slowing down, I have made sure that I will enjoy what I am eating and I sit far away from the refrigerator and cupboards so that if I truly do want something else to eat I have to get up off my butt and get it. So far so good. I forget where I was at last post for efforts to date, but as of my weigh in last week I was down another 2 lb after having gained 1/2 and 3/4 for two weeks in a row. So tomorrow night is my meeting night and hopefully I will have "edit blog" high enough in my list of to do's to report back how I did.

3 comments:

mccashew said...

This is good advice!!! I am going to try to heed it!

Kate B said...

Sounds like you have a good plan going there!

Brenna said...

Good luck at the dub-dub! I like your new plan, I'm sure the girls will pick up on their mama being more chill.