Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Falling leaves

There has been something about this fall that I haven't quite come to accept that summer is officially over. I know that it's Labor Day that seems to signify the end of summer, but I am still not ready for near freezing morning temperatures. Brrrr.... It has also brought a bit of a struggle with dressing. Not me, mind you but my strong willed 3 year old. She is really holding onto summer by way of her skirts sans tights and flip flops. We struggle every day with putting on real shoes and *gasp* socks. It's like I am torturing her to put them on. Nicole is no better come to think of it. Though to her it's all about her sudden hate of pants. Pants you say? Yes, pants. She seems to not want to have anything to do with pants and will arch, kick and scream when they are put on. It has gotten to the point where I don't even bother taking her out of her sleeper pjs until we are ready to leave the house just because of this fight.

But today was swimming lessons for Aimee and even that was a fight with her. She assumes that since she is supposed to wear her bathing suit that it's justified she wears her flip flops. I have even gone so far as buy the sherpa fleece crocs in hope of persuading her to wear something other than flip flops. It's a mixed thing really because crocs are banned at school. Yes, you read that right...banned. She has to wear either sneakers or other shoes with a good rubber sole and some sort of tie or strap. No open toe or open back shoes. I can obviously understand it. Aimee is the one having a hard time with it.

Speaking of which, nursery school is going great. She is loving her time there. It's so sweet for me to take her in and help her wash her hands, take off her coat and hang her backpack before she reaches for a kiss and a hug. I don't quite remember all of my time there when I was a student about 30 years ago, but much of the building is still the same and it's endearing that she is going to the same nursery school I went to. Not so endearing is the fact that I have to tease Nicole with the drop off. She is ready to whip off her coat, wash her hands and start right in on nursery school with Aimee. I feel so bad for her because she sees the great stuff in the classroom but then has to leave a few short minutes after getting in there. It's like she is thinking..."hey, we go to daycare together, why not here?" I try to make our time together while Aimee is in school special, but the little cutie walks around the house calling "Aimee?" and I remind her that Aimee is in school. There is something distinctly different about the second child, aside from the obvious birth order. It's like the innocence of experiencing things is lost a little bit because the older sibling is there showing how it's done, for good or bad.

I can't even express what an amazing time I am having with them and I keep thinking towards the future and thinking how lucky they are to have a sister, something I never had. There are some days I want to tear my hair out over the constant questions that I run out of answers for or the temper tantrums that involve throwing themselves on the floor. But I think knowing these pieces of their personality is precious and it is all just going so fast, just like the season and the leaves of fall.

1 comment:

Brenna said...

banned crocks? steph's kids would have a sit-in, they live in those things! I'm a lot like the girls, I flat out refuse to bust out the winter clothes until I absolutely have to, my toes like to be free!