Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stitch Witchery

Sounds like it's something for Halloween doesn't it? But no, for $1.97 this stuff has changed my life in the past few weeks. As many of you may know, my youngest daughter is little bitty. We have done our best to add some weight to her but she isn't a huge eater and despite having a huge sweet tooth I can't in good conscious let her eat candy corn all day just to put weight on her. But my dilemma has been that in this economy I want to re-use some of Aimee's clothes not only for money saving measure but because some of it was just so darn cute. Even though they were born in completely different seasons, Nicole is about 6 months behind Aimee size wise at the same age so it has come together nicely. If only this stuff would fit her properly. Thus enters the Stitch Witchery. This stuff is iron on that you can put a hem on the inside of the pants and arms and then when the child grows tall enough to actually fit into the pants, you can lower the hems. And not a bit of actual sewing occurs.

It is available in the sewing section of Walmart and with just a hot iron to the "wool" setting and a damp cloth above, the pants are suddenly shorter, the sleeves are suddenly shorter and a new outfit emerges. It's been fantastic and I am extending the wardrobe. I even used it this morning on a pair of pants for Aimee. Because clothing makers try to fit as many kids into one size as possible with adjustable waist pants, the size 3T fit her great in the hips, thigh and waist but the length make her look like she is forever wearing Capri's. So we moved into the 4T but the length are just a bit too long right now. I feel so domestic lately with my stitch witchery. I may even have to try it myself when I am down a size in pants because God knows that whoever is making clothes for women these days seems to think we have all grown 5 inches since everything I own seems to need a hem. When I do get to invest in new pants, I will have a quick easy way to hem them.

Which brings me nicely to my other news. I made it to WW on Tuesday and was indeed down 1/2 lb. My total after all the yo-yoing is 12 lbs since I started back in early Sept. or late August, I can't remember when without my little book in front of me. Still not the progress I would like to see but it is still in the downward direction and I even took the dog for a walk last night after Gary got home from work and dinner was in the oven.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I heart stitchwithcery until the damn dryer makes it no longer work! let me know when you have solved this problem.

Terri said...

Uh oh, I haven't had enough washings to make this an issue yet. Good to know!