Monday, April 25, 2011

Couch to 5K

Well, I did it. I signed up for a 5K race. I haven't done one since Nicole was about 8 months old back in 2007 and that one kept me from walking normally for about a week. I didn't do any pre-race prep and I paid for it. I have run a few 5Ks before having kids but never very swiftly and only once or twice did I actually run the whole 3.1 miles without stopping. But I am going to give it a go once again on May 22, 2011. It's a good cause local to my town it's the Evan Henry Road Race to benefit Autism. There is a 10K and a 5K and loads of walkers. This is the type of event I need....one that also has walkers so I don't feel as though I am the last one to cross the finish line.

So I started the Couch to 5K on the Cool Runnings website and was feeling great about my progress until Week 5. Day 3 of week 5 to be precise. That 20 minute jog without stopping absolutely kicks my butt every time. I can do about 14 minutes and then my little toe on my right foot starts to go numb, my thighs start to burn and I generally start to psyche myself out. I need to get over this hump to continue on with the training but for the love of God, this one workout has left me in a bit of a slump. I can do 3.1 miles so I know I can complete the distance. It's just that I want to run the whole distance and it ain't happening yet.

Of course this is all part of the never ending battle of the bulge that I have. So my attempts to keep moving are all in proportion to my efforts to take off a few pounds. But this running solely for 20 minutes after a 5 minute warm up is just not happening. I am not discouraged. Though today's workout was not happening. I think the warm weather on Easter Sunday combined with an office building that uses "green" energy practices and therefore has minimal ventilation on weekends made for a stuffy gym not conducive for this couch to 5K runner. Plus my post holiday jelly bean and chocolate egg ingestion did nothing to assist my efforts. So I banged out a mere 2.25 miles in about 35 minutes....yeah do that math....it is basically equal to turtle status.

But I will press on so stay tuned and don't forget the big event is on May 22, 2011. It's no Boston Marathon but it will be my own little accomplishment.

4 comments:

Sarah Reads Too Much said...

Good Luck Terri!! I did a 5k on Saturday - in the rain and snow. But I finished with my best time - about 48 minutes or so.... yeah, I'm not fast, but I'm finishing, and that's all I care about. I think signing up for the 5ks definitely help with the motivation though - and I KNOW you can do it!

Brenna said...

It really is never ending. I'm 6 months post-goal weight and I can't let my guard down even for a week. I am so impressed you're taking this on, I have no desire to run anywhere.

Kate B said...

Right now, I'm stuck on Week six day 1. I've had some allergy issues the past week and haven't felt up to running every other day. So, I feel your pain. I'm always amazed though when I can do the run. Since week 4, I keep going into the run worried that I can't do it. So I tell myself, do what I can and each time I've made it. I want to do an actual race, but I'm worried about running on the road. The last time I ran on the road, it took a couple of days for my left achilles tendon to forgive me. Good luck to you in your race! I'm impressed and inspired!

Terri said...

Yea Kate I will be with you on Thursday as I start day 1 of week six. Allergies have never been an issue for me until this year so maybe something out there is getting to us. I am also a treadmill runner at this point and I am hesitant of the open road. We'll see how it goes. Pencil in May 22nd that is race day! :)