Thursday, April 21, 2011

Still There??

woo....woo...Puff...puff.....swipe....swipe.

Just dusting it off here. Where have I been? Oh you know, life, it takes you in and makes you crazy. Lets see since last I posted we had a great Christmas, fabulous New Years, Nicole turned 4 (how did that even happen) and Aimee switched from PM to AM Kindergarten. Work has been crazy busy with wonderful new projects and we finally saw our lawn in last weeks after so many months of it being covered in white snow.

So now that things are starting to poke out I thought it was time to pick up my blog, dust it off and start fresh.

Unfortunately, the new year came in with some new health issues for me. I started with heart palpitations. Those are definitely an unnerving feeling. I wore a heart monitor for a month and had to hit a little button each time I had an "episode" of these little fluttering. Thankfully, it showed that these little times of palps as I have lovingly started to call them does nothing to my heart rate or rhythm. Apparently my heart just feels the need to throw an extra beat in there once in a while. We're still working on the why of it all.

Next, I got the news that my thyroid is basically kaput. I am on an almost total replacement dose of synthroid at this point. And for the record the endocrinologist that I met was an absolute stick in the mud. But she did prescribe an ultrasound to see where my thyroid is at this point and apparently though enlarged, the remedy for that is to keep taking my meds. I have the thought of a snarky comment here about med school and the like but I will keep it to myself.

So I continue on my path trying to self diagnose and monitoring when I feel these palps and what other symptoms I have and what it appears is that I am periomenopausal. Apparently you can be this way for a good 10 years before.

We started our garden by blocking off a portion of the yard with some wooden edges and we started some seedlings indoor for transplant after May. Now, the one problem I have is that we have seen some deer in the yard lately (inside the fence!) and the buggers have eaten some of the leaves off of my strawberry plants. I haven't seen them out there lately but some footprints out front and a few sprouting annuals are a little shorter than before. So I may have to invest in some spray to deter them.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

I have an extra beat, like my heard goes bwah-whump. It's a strange feeling but I've been told it's not dangerous. I hope you get things solved and that I don't see you on that Discovery Medical Mysteries show.

Kate B said...

Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again. Sorry about the scares with your heart - but stop self-diagnosing. You may be giving yourself scares for nothing. Re: the deer - not much works. My mother tried sprays, human hair - nothing - not even the dog (well he was a little dog) kept them away. There are plants they won't eat - like daffodils, so you may want to try things like that.