Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Old or helplessly out of style?

While in work the other day I was waiting in the elevator lobby of my floor with someone who obviously works for my company. This individual had on dark wash jeans that were about 4 inches too short for him, white socks, what can only be described as zips sneakers, a zip up hoody sweatshirt and a head of unwashed, pillow marked hair. Now in my company we do have a policy of business casual for work but I am not sure this quite qualifies. He was also rather scruffy in the beard with areas that didn't even fill in so it just looked odd.

Then on my usual lunch walk I saw some people along the route decked out in what can only be described as extremes. Granted I work in Kendall Square and there is biotechnology overload there as well as MIT which has it's own kind of interesting individuals. Then in a moment of sheer panic I thought - what if it isn't them? What if it's me? I know that my style isn't really to wear what is in style at the moment. Mainly because my body does not lend itself to wear low cut jeans, boot style or flare too well. I also don't like the tapered or skinny leg thing going on now and I almost fell over while shopping for Aimee and saw stirrup pants. Stirrups, in the Children's Place. Ugh. I think I am more of a classic dresser for work and horribly old stuff for home. I don't think I own any in between, at least not any that fits right now anyway. So I am on a mission. Macy's is having a one - day sale Saturday (with a preview day on Friday of course which always makes me laugh) so I am on a hunt to spruce up my wardrobe.

Which brings me to my other admission here...WW. I haven't gained, thank God, but I haven't lost either in 5 weeks! 5 Weeks people. That has been incredibly frustrating for me. I realize it's technically the holiday season and many people gain in this time but man if I eat one more salad I may not be able to look lettuce in the face ever again. My one saving grace is a friend of mine from high school turned me onto other add ins to the salad. I always think of salad as lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc. But at her daughter's birthday party a few weeks ago she made a salad of bagged arugula (is that a word for lettuce or did I just pull that out of my you know what?) and sprinkle some craisins, glazed pecans and a tablespoon of Feta cheese. Mix it in with a salad dressing consisting of a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, a little garlic and a pinch of sugar to cut the acid. It's been awesome! So I have been tinkering with the add ins and have gone to raisins - golden and brown, almond slices, walnuts and apple slices. I have been in heaven. So hold out for next week. Tuesday is weigh in day and I better damn well have lost a pound or too for all the Hershey kisses I have said no to thus far.

No comments: