Monday, August 17, 2009

Bugs, bites and burns...oh my!

Well, it did finally happen. The summer arrived. True, it arrived a bit later than we all expected but maybe it will stick around until later September and give us an extension we've been looking for. Unfortunately with all the rain that came this late spring into early summer we have been dealing with a deluge of bug bites. I have tried to cover every square inch of my girls with a friendly, skintastic OFF! but there still manages to be a few bites here and there.

I was very upset a few weeks ago when from a walk from the house to the car on the way to daycare, I noticed a slight bite on Aimee's right knee. I put some hydro cortisone cream on it and sent her to daycare with some Benedryl just in case. When she arrived home 8 hours later, the little bite was the size of a half dollar, warm to the touch and all around swollen. I called the DR and asked what to do since this was all new to me. Apparently sometimes kids go from having a small reaction to a bigger reaction to bug bites and so long as there was no associated fever (which they said I would have to bring her in for immediately which scared me to death) just to apply the 1% hydro cortisone cream and give Benedryl to reduce the swelling. The poor kid was almost comatose for 24 hours from her every 6 hour dose of Benedryl. But it did work and that little pink liquid is my new best friend.

Also with the summer weather now here we have been to the beach even more than before and we are loving it. The low tide brings the warmer tidal pools that keeps Nicole entertained for house with pruned feet to add to it. She just has a blast sitting in the little pool while I have to shove the amount of germs floating around in the pool out of my mind. Last week however, while applying sunscreen to Aimee, I missed a spot. In my defense it wasn't a spot I had thought about and in future will be sure to get to it. You see after playing in the water, sand and surf, the bathing suit naturally rides up. Despite my efforts to slather that Coppertone SPF 50 in the pink bottle all over them, I missed just a sliver under the bathing suit that gets exposed when a wedgie is created. As an adult I need to remove the wedge ASAP but apparently this does not present itself as a discomfort to 4 year olds. Nicole has a swim diaper that stays in place well and keeps the bathing suit there too. But poor Aimee had a sliver of a burn on her derriere from my rookie mistake. So take note moms, once the kids are potty trained and no longer wearing the swim diapers, apply the sunscreen even to spots under the suit where it could ride up or shift to avoid this unpleasantness.

No comments: