Thursday, April 16, 2009

They're back!

It's been a busy and exciting time over here in our household. I picked my parents up at the airport last Friday and checked out the new cell phone lot at the airport. Well, I don't really know that it is new seeing as how I haven't been to Logan Airport to pick someone up in ages. But right across the street from the Hyatt there is a little lot where you can park for up to 30 minutes with your car shut off (it's against the law to let your car idle for more than 5 minutes when parked) and talk to your incoming party on your cell phone as they update when they have collected their bags and are waiting by road at their terminal. It was way better than doing victory laps around the airport and fearing that I will take a wrong turn and end up in Revere or someplace unrecognizable in East Boston. I may work near the big City but there are only so many places I am comfortable with getting to.

So we headed home and Gary had picked up Aimee from her dancing lessons (which she has decided he needs to do more often) and had pizzas and salads waiting for us when we got home. It was so nice to see my girls excited to see them and climbing all over their Nana and Papa. Of course mom and dad had to take a back seat and were not allowed to assist with putting on of pjs, teeth brushing and the like when the bedtime hour approached. On Saturday we went to do errands with my mom and I realized how nice it is to once again have someone adult to talk to while shuttling around and how easy it is to run in and out of stores when someone stays in the car with the girls. My kids are pretty well behaved and listen fairly well to me so I don't mind taking them to stores but I know their limits too and realize when it's better to just run in and out of the store. Luckily with my mom back I was able to get a ton done despite all the rain.

Since they have been home though my dad has been complaining of his belly feeling fluid filled and that some days he has a hard time walking without getting winded. He had an appointment for an EKG on Tuesday and the results revealed that his aortic valve is not functioning properly so he will need to have it replaced. At first we were thinking it could be a quick surgery without having to open up his chest plate but it turns out that he will actually need the more involved one because of his age (a young 74) and because they can see with their eyes what is going on rather than relying on cameras and potential blind spots that can be problematic. We don't have a surgery date yet but I will fill you in when we do. So if you have any extra prayers that you were thinking of making, we'll take a few from you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope everything is okay with your dad-- he's in my prayers!