Monday, March 30, 2009

Breaking the law

This past weekend I had a great time at a bi-annual consignment sale that I love to volunteer and shop at. On Thursday night I got to shop before all of the others who know about the sale to see a sneak peak and shop to my heart (okay my wallet) content for spring/summer items for the girls. In paying for the items that I had swiped up, I pulled out my checkbook to pay and showed my license then threw the checkbook and license back into my oversized-to-handle-all-cups-diapers, etc. pocketbook.

Saturday morning Gary and I were out looking at houses (to no avail) while his parents stayed with the girls. After viewing our non-potential house, I had him drive me to the library so I could pick up two books I put on hold. In doing so I saw my half hazardly thrown in license and thought "I have to put this back in..." In looking at my license, I saw that it had expired on my birthday which was at the time 6 DAYS AGO!!!! I had driven for 6 days into and out of the City, hauling along my stuff to and from the consignment sale, DRIVING MY CHILDREN PLACES and all without a license. I know that if you are caught they will impound your vehicle, not sure what happens with the kids. Ugh.

Needless to say I didn't end up going anywhere yesterday and scraping up lunch for the kids without peanut butter, grapes or any fun items that typically get put in was a task in itself. A few goldfish, jelly sandwiches and lunchable jr's later and they at least could have some sustenance for the day. But, really, a supermarket run is near desperate tomorrow.

So this morning before work I had to break the law again and drive to the registry. I think on the way over I counted at least 1/2 dozen police vehicles. Getting to the registry at 8:45 and seeing a line outside the door did not help my angst either. So I waited in line with the rest of them with my hood up thinking the entire time that this picture will now be on my license for another 5-10 years. Ugh.

Apparently the Massachusetts registry stopped sending out reminder notices in November. Um that was 4 months ago. How many people do you think in Massachusetts are driving around on expired licenses from December, January, February and March? I just happened to look at mine coincidentally within a week of my birthday.

I did enquire to the very nice gentleman that told me I could keep my last picture (hooray!) and he said that I was part of a growing number of people who are driving on expired licenses. But the good news is you do have a year from when the license expires to just go in and renew it and not have to re-take a road test or anything. Though in that year your butt better not be behind a wheel or if you are caught your car is impounded and you need to call someone to come get you.

I know, I know, you are all thinking I could have just renewed on line. That is what I thought too. But upon finding the registry website and trying desperately to renew online I kept getting the "FAILED" response in my Inbox that prompted my visit this morning.

The prize of best husband goes to Gary because as part of my consignment sale I volunteer to help breakdown and sort the clothes that go unsold...on Saturday afternoon/evening. Poor guy had to bring me to my volunteer shift at 4PM and pick me up again, with the girls both times I might add and closing in on bedtime for pickup at 7PM. This is when the grandparents next door are certainly missed the most. For a quick trip or helping hand. I guess that is what I get for turning 35, an expired license.

No comments: