Sunday, November 9, 2008

With cat like reflexes

Last night in our never ending battle of going to bed Nicole was calling from her room "baby bottle" so that she could feed her baby while she was in bed. However, I have found that if I give into this request I can sometimes find this bottle within the confines of her sleeper so I don't typically give into this request. Last night however she was relentless in asking. I was eating my late supper while Gary was preparing something on the stove when we hear the pitter patter of little feet coming down the hallway and into the living room and shrieking "baby bottle". She picked up the bottle and Gary and I looked at each other with very surprised looks. Nicole headed back to her room and suddenly realized that she could not get back into her bed. Of course Gary was following her back to her room and promptly put her back into bed.

So needless to say I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night just because I was terrified that she was going to come running out of her room at any second and into mine. That is how it started with Aimee, she would run into our room in the middle of the night when she woke up and stare right at me. Freaked me out so we gated her into her room. It can be argued that it isn't safe to do so, but it gave me a little peace of mind.

With Nicole though, I didn't hear a creak, thud or squeak as she got out of bed. She just ran down the hall looking for her baby's bottle like it was nothing. I think I have a future ninja on my hands. Luckily last week I had the premonition that she was nearing this accomplishment because she was putting her foot up on the rails while waiting for me to get her out of bed each morning. So I spent some time making sure that every outlet was covered, every piece of furniture was securely attached to the walls and that all extra items were tucked away and locked behind the closet door. She went down tonight without incident but I know when she figures out she can get out of her crib easily that is it and big girl bed here we come. Can she really be that old?

No comments: